Pilates for the Runner
Regular Pilates Practice Will Help With Fewer Injuries and Faster Speed
Is running your passion? Running is a great calorie burning and cardiovascular exercise, but your body can take a beating if not properly conditioned - this is especially true if it develops asymmetries whether you are a more seasoned marathoner or a weekend warrior.
Imbalances develop because of poor body mechanics, causing certain muscles to become overused (a common trait in runners), while others become underused. This can result in a variety of ailments from lower back pain to hip bursitis to knee and ankle problems.
How Will Pilates Help My Running?
Pilates exercises create a stronger, more flexible spine and core, and also promotes faster recovery from strains or injuries.
For a runner, posture is one of the key ingredients to success. Great posture depends on a strong core. Pilates develops a strong core by supporting and strengthening the muscles of the torso, hips shoulders and pelvis. These can eventually lead to a huge positive difference in your posture, technique, balance and stability. Alignment of your head and neck are in relation to the spine and pelvis, on down through the legs and toes, will create efficient movement and you will experience fewer injuries…it’s a win-win!
· Build core and back muscles
· Elongate and align the spine for better stability
· Expand the diaphragm enabling improved respiration during cardio workout
· Increase overall flexibility, strength, and balance
· Increase range of motion in joints
· Enhance mental focus through rhythmic breathing
· Helps with promoting running in upright alignment
· Help bodies recover faster
Pilates is a Performance Enhancer for the Runner:
A stronger and more stable core helps a runner:
· Run more efficiently uphill with a stabilized musculature
· Run more efficiently downhill with a stronger and more balanced sciatic are
· Improve speed
· Run without pain!